Why this blog?

Around 25 years ago, I convinced my grandmother to write a memoir. Naturally, it was in pen on (gasp) paper. That, of course, would never do. I was blinded by new technology. I was an idiot. I convinced (read "paid") my daughter, Miriam, to type Bubbie's manuscript up on my Commodore 64. Then, to make matters worse, I edited the typescript. Then I printed it out and had it copied and bound.

Now, the actual original manuscript, what Bubbie actually wrote with her own hand, is lost forever. It's probably somewhere in the house, but that pretty much counts as lost forever.

Now, I'm at that age. My kids have not asked me to do this, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm still amused enough by technology that I don't want to do a handwritten manuscript. I also don't think I can achieve the kind of dramatic impact that Bubbie managed with a formal autobiography. So, instead, I'm doing a blog with random memories from the past and the present scattered in a disorganized way.

This blog is linked to my two other blogs.

http://henryandcarolynsecondhoneymoon.blogspot.com/ is the blog I started when I came down with cancer and pretty much stopped when Carolyn died.

http://henryfarkaswidowerblog.blogspot.com/
is the blog I started after Carolyn died; when I decided to continue blogging.

For what it's worth, there's a search engine attached to this blog right below this intro. That won't be worth much initially, but if this blog gets long and stays disorganized, then my kids and their kids will be able to use the search engine to find stuff if they're interested.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Writing/Cancer Support Group 6/16/10

Assignment:

What is the greatest source of frustration about your health?
=================================
Mortality

They say that getting old is better than the alternative. It’s also worse. It depends on whether you consider the alternative as dying or just staying young. Ten years ago, my brother mentioned to me that he’d heard that we were in the last generation that was actually going to die. I pooh-poohed the notion back then. These days, with stem cell research and regenerative medicine research making breakthroughs very often, I’m not so sure he was completely wrong. It might be that it’ll take another generation to get to where most degenerative diseases can be reversed, but there’s a chance it could happen.

It’s not unknown to have virtual immortality in biological species. There’s a kind of jellyfish, Turritopsis nutricula, that’s immortal in the sense that after achieving sexual maturity and reproducing, it changes itself back into a juvenile form and then goes through the maturation process again. In the presence of sufficient food, it doesn’t die.

Of course, in a species like people, you might not want to go through adolescence, and have to attend high school, again unless you were a jock and high school was the best time of your life. If you're like most of us, you'd want to keep your knowledge and experience, something jellyfish don’t have to deal with as far as we know. So I can envision a whole generation of Doogie Howsers once this immortality thing gets going. It’ll be cute.

No comments: