Why this blog?

Around 25 years ago, I convinced my grandmother to write a memoir. Naturally, it was in pen on (gasp) paper. That, of course, would never do. I was blinded by new technology. I was an idiot. I convinced (read "paid") my daughter, Miriam, to type Bubbie's manuscript up on my Commodore 64. Then, to make matters worse, I edited the typescript. Then I printed it out and had it copied and bound.

Now, the actual original manuscript, what Bubbie actually wrote with her own hand, is lost forever. It's probably somewhere in the house, but that pretty much counts as lost forever.

Now, I'm at that age. My kids have not asked me to do this, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm still amused enough by technology that I don't want to do a handwritten manuscript. I also don't think I can achieve the kind of dramatic impact that Bubbie managed with a formal autobiography. So, instead, I'm doing a blog with random memories from the past and the present scattered in a disorganized way.

This blog is linked to my two other blogs.

http://henryandcarolynsecondhoneymoon.blogspot.com/ is the blog I started when I came down with cancer and pretty much stopped when Carolyn died.

http://henryfarkaswidowerblog.blogspot.com/
is the blog I started after Carolyn died; when I decided to continue blogging.

For what it's worth, there's a search engine attached to this blog right below this intro. That won't be worth much initially, but if this blog gets long and stays disorganized, then my kids and their kids will be able to use the search engine to find stuff if they're interested.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Here's a poem Carolyn wrote about ten years ago.

Hair

by Carolyn Farkas

I’ve watched my hair grow long, the last ten years,

too long for someone well past middle age.

For birthdays, anniversaries, such events,

the beautician who smooths my twisted curls

suggest some style that would be simpler, shorter, right,

easy to live with,

and I must answer.

How should I decline?

I pause, as though I listened to her thought,

then speak “No, not today.

Just trim uneven ends,

but leave me long for now.

I must hurry. So much to do.”

How can I tell her that I need to see its length,

each time I shower,

that moment when it snakes down my neck,

crawls to my chest

and covers the decade-old scar on my left breast,

reminder of what once made me lose my hair

but let me keep it now,

for so long, so long.

No comments: