Why this blog?

Around 25 years ago, I convinced my grandmother to write a memoir. Naturally, it was in pen on (gasp) paper. That, of course, would never do. I was blinded by new technology. I was an idiot. I convinced (read "paid") my daughter, Miriam, to type Bubbie's manuscript up on my Commodore 64. Then, to make matters worse, I edited the typescript. Then I printed it out and had it copied and bound.

Now, the actual original manuscript, what Bubbie actually wrote with her own hand, is lost forever. It's probably somewhere in the house, but that pretty much counts as lost forever.

Now, I'm at that age. My kids have not asked me to do this, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm still amused enough by technology that I don't want to do a handwritten manuscript. I also don't think I can achieve the kind of dramatic impact that Bubbie managed with a formal autobiography. So, instead, I'm doing a blog with random memories from the past and the present scattered in a disorganized way.

This blog is linked to my two other blogs.

http://henryandcarolynsecondhoneymoon.blogspot.com/ is the blog I started when I came down with cancer and pretty much stopped when Carolyn died.

http://henryfarkaswidowerblog.blogspot.com/
is the blog I started after Carolyn died; when I decided to continue blogging.

For what it's worth, there's a search engine attached to this blog right below this intro. That won't be worth much initially, but if this blog gets long and stays disorganized, then my kids and their kids will be able to use the search engine to find stuff if they're interested.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cancer Support/Writing Group Strikes Again

Assigned Topic: "I have learned that in life, there is sometimes a second chance."
====================================================
This topic seems to me to be about what you do to re-order your priorities when you get a cancer diagnosis. It’s not just that a cancer cure gives a person a second chance. It’s the very diagnosis that brings you the opportunity for figuring out what the second chance ought to be. Good thing about that, because not everyone gets cured from cancer.

Of course, there’s a downside to this opportunity for a second chance. If you die of, say, getting hit by a piece of space junk that comes down from its orbit, traveling at 17,500 miles an hour relative to the surface of the earth, and kills you instantly, you don’t get that opportunity for a second chance, but, on the other hand, you don’t suffer very much, or for very long. With dying from cancer, the process is slower and, sometimes, unpleasant.

So maybe the best option is to get the cancer diagnosis, but when the time comes that the treatment is failing, go stand outside during a meteor shower.

Woody Allen once said, “I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.” But everyone has to die sometime, of something. There wouldn’t be room on earth for new people if the old people didn’t kick the bucket. The key thing is to make your life count for something, and, sometimes, it takes a bother like a cancer diagnosis to give you a second chance to figure out how to go about doing that.

For what it's worth, in my particular case, I haven't figured out what to do to make this part of my life count for something.

No comments: