Why this blog?

Around 25 years ago, I convinced my grandmother to write a memoir. Naturally, it was in pen on (gasp) paper. That, of course, would never do. I was blinded by new technology. I was an idiot. I convinced (read "paid") my daughter, Miriam, to type Bubbie's manuscript up on my Commodore 64. Then, to make matters worse, I edited the typescript. Then I printed it out and had it copied and bound.

Now, the actual original manuscript, what Bubbie actually wrote with her own hand, is lost forever. It's probably somewhere in the house, but that pretty much counts as lost forever.

Now, I'm at that age. My kids have not asked me to do this, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm still amused enough by technology that I don't want to do a handwritten manuscript. I also don't think I can achieve the kind of dramatic impact that Bubbie managed with a formal autobiography. So, instead, I'm doing a blog with random memories from the past and the present scattered in a disorganized way.

This blog is linked to my two other blogs.

http://henryandcarolynsecondhoneymoon.blogspot.com/ is the blog I started when I came down with cancer and pretty much stopped when Carolyn died.

http://henryfarkaswidowerblog.blogspot.com/
is the blog I started after Carolyn died; when I decided to continue blogging.

For what it's worth, there's a search engine attached to this blog right below this intro. That won't be worth much initially, but if this blog gets long and stays disorganized, then my kids and their kids will be able to use the search engine to find stuff if they're interested.

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Monkey Bars

In my earliest detailed memory, I was three. My mother was pregnant. I was playing in the park and was up on top of the monkey bars. They don't seem to have monkey bars in parks anymore. Anyway, I was up at the top, and I yelled out to my father, "Look Daddy, no hands."

As you might expect, I fell. I remember falling, but I don't remember hitting the cement. I must have been unconscious for a while because the next thing I remember is my father taking me back to our apartment. I was crying because I'd scraped my thumb. My father took me to his uncle Benny, a GP, and uncle Benny took an X-ray of my skull. He diagnosed a fracture and said I needed to stay in bed for a month

Just so you'll know, they no longer prescribe quite so much rest for a linear fracture of the skull that doesn't need surgery, which I didn't need. I remember that at night, I was in my own bed, but in the daytime, my parents let me rest in their bed. That was good because their bed was much springier than mine, and whenever they weren't in the room, I'd be jumping up and down on the bed.

It was only a three room apartment so, thinking about it, my parents must have known what I was doing. Jumping on the bed has a distinctive sound. But they let me do it. I'm not sure they kept that bed rest thing up for an entire month. My sense of time wasn't all that accurate, and I didn't know about calendars when I was three.

I have a tonsillectomy memory from around that same age. I'd been
getting sick pretty often, and the doctor would come to our little
apartment and give me a shot. Eventually, he told my parents I needed
to get my tonsils out.

My parents took me to Beth Israel Hospital in New York, the same hospital where I was born, I remember a doctor in a mask holding a bad smelling rubber thing on my face and telling me to count to ten. I never got to ten, My next memory was that I was in an elevator, asking my mother when they were going to take out my tonsils, She told me they were already out and that I was going to get ice cream.

They put me in a pediatric ward with lots of other kids,and they told me I'd have a special nurse who would be right by my crib all the time. My problem with that was that when I woke up in the middle of the night, I was a bit reluctant to tell a stranger that I had to pee. Eventually, I did tell her.

I have no specific memory of actually getting any ice cream.

No comments: